In this episode, we hear from Gabi Mittas, international leader and Chief Marketing Officer Australia, New Zealand and North Asia Pacific Region at Eli Lilly, an American pharmaceutical company. We discussed her philosophy on leadership and the true meaning of spreading love in organizations.
We all have a personal story that drives us
Gabi walked us through her personal journey, starting with her upbringing in Australia in a very cosmopolitan environment, talking about all the diversity and richness you get from growing and thriving in such an atmosphere to her experience in healthcare leading marketing teams in big pharma across the world to bring science into something that resonates, touches and impacts people.
What’s your personal leadership philosophy
The key thing is the passion to make the world better, through authentic connection, inspirational work, but also while enjoying life… don’t compromise the outcome but have fun along the way! We might not all speak the same language, have the same culture, traditions, consumer behaviors, or patient journey, but we can all understand the value of human life.
It’s a universal human truth, no matter what country or culture, every patient’s experience, and feel is universal and consistent across all countries…Universal human truth may encompass nations and whole regions.
Align on a common purpose that will drive your behavior… Look for the universal human truth
To get there make sure all the boxes below are checked:
- Authenticity: Being who you are, how you show up at work
- Vulnerability: Keep learning, ask the basic questions, don’t be afraid to start from scratch
- Intentionality: Speaks volumes on how you lead, how you want to move things forward
What about spreading love in organizations?
Spreading love is not the fluffy type of love… tough love is the ultimate proof that you care about your people! It’s all about being tough on the problems, and willing to have the tough conversations.
Since her move back to Australia, Gabi has been spreading three things along the way:
- Spreading the Latest: News, training modules, new things coming up, all geared toward how to get intentional about new learning
- Spreading Learning: Best practices, similarities, how to learn from each other and find synergies
- Spreading Love: Recognizing each other in open forums, sharing stories, and love intentionally